Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sunday thoughts...

Our Sunday school lesson today focused on D&C 25
which talked about the trials that Emma Smith had and how she was able to bear them without murmuring.
"Murmur not because of the things which thou hast not seen, for they are withheld from thee and from the world, which is wisdom in me in a time to come." D&C 25:4
"And verily I say unto thee that thou shalt lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better." D&C 25:10
We talked about we can be a comfort to each other during trials.
(specifically as husbands and wives)

We divided into groups (men on one side, women on the other) to discuss ways in which men and women can be a comfort to each other:

This is what each group came up with:

Husbands

  • homemakers
  • support
  • feel loved and supported
  • food
  • offer corrections in love
  • wisdom and kindness
  • give yourself to each other
  • sex

Wives

  • priesthood blessings
  • living righteously
  • listens and understands (not always giving us a solution)
  • love us for how we are
  • encourage
  • be equal/evenly yoked
  • service (especially when heavy lifting is involved)
  • help discipline the children

(notice that sex was not on the women's list--just thought I'd point that out!)

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting parallel between what each side really needs to feel supported...

I liked both of these quotes:

"If the husband and wife agree with everything all the time than the one is unnecessary"(Billy Graham)

"Happiness is not the absence adversity, but the presence of the Lord."

**Are you a murmurer?

**Do you have anything to add to the list?

**What are your thoughts?

10 comments:

  1. I think affection is important. I've noticed recently that my husband isn't as affectionate as he used to be. He doesn't naturally put his arm around me in church, like he used to, or take my hand first. It's something I need to address with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your S.S. class divided up to work on this. Just a lecture can get so old-

    GReat comments here... great topic...
    it's amazing to me how we really just all want the the same thing love & support.
    interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really miss Sunday School! I do love my little Primary class, though.

    I always feel so supported by Fred, and it is one of my deepest desires and goals, to be equally supportive to him. I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely noticed that sex wasn't on the women's list, how funny. It seems like both sides really need to feel heard, loved and supported, and really why is that so hard?

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a great post. i like those quotes and definitely feel they're useful for me right now. a good reminder that i should start reading the ss manual since i'm in primary! :)

    how much does it make me laugh that sex made it onto a sunday school list?! :) i think it's interesting that 2 basics: sex and food- ended up on the men's list. :) but i do love that each wants to be loved and supported- funny how each side has their own definition of how that is expressed...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog through a link on Amy's (my word's) blog. I really only clicked it because we have the same name. (hehe) But I really like it here. Your blog is awesome!

    Then I started to think about something. You live about 2 hours or so away from Shippensburg! (My sister in law's family lives there, and that is assuming that you live in Bucks County) Is that part of the same ward that you are in? My brother served a mission there and has kept in contact with a few families. I was just wondering if you would know any of them. :) Sorry I am not trying to be nosy, just thought I would ask.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have added sex to my list.

    I'm not a murmerer, usually. But I am a big fat whiner if I'm not careful. There is a difference.

    Men and women are not completely different. We all want to be understood. We each want our needs and goals to be aknowledged and supported.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed this lesson as well. When I think about all that Emma endured -- including never really having a home of her own -- it's overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i prefer encourage to "offer correction with love", i think everyone wants/needs support. we are all doing the best we can (most of the time) we don't need a lot of extra "correction". i ended up missing most of this lesson due to setting up chairs in the RS room, it seems in my life service is always getting in the way of actually learning important stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think if sex isn't on your list, maybe you're doing it wrong.

    ReplyDelete