Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Apples Dancing

The end of September and early October is usually when my mom makes a trip to my house and we make several bushels of apples into applesauce. She won't be able to make it this time, so it looks like I'll be on my own...(I'll probably conquer this project next week)...


I decided to do a mini applesauce making demonstration for Ellie's pre-school class. The theme of the week was apples so I thought it would be interesting for the kids to see how applesauce was made.

In this picture, I'm explaining to them all about the fabulousness of a honey crisp apple...(by the way, these do not make good applesauce...they are strictly an eating apple only...)


I used three different kinds of apples...Mackintosh, Rome and Braeburn...
Each child got to have a chance to turn the handle on my old Victoria strainer...

They were all so delighted to see the sauce coming out of the strainer...
Everyone got to have a sample of warm applesauce...divine!
When I went to drop Ellie off at school the next day, I heard a little boy tell his mom that I was the "applesauce lady"...(I suppose I've been called worse)

I wasn't able to go to the Relief Society Broadcast on Saturday night because I got tickets to...
SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE!!!! Yes! You heard it right!
Earlier this summer, I got an e-mail from a girl in our ward who was fairly new. She wanted to know if anyone was interested in getting tickets to So You Think You Can Dance...
I hadn't been a follower of the show but had so many friends that were so I agreed to purchase a ticket out of pure curiosity in addition to the chance to get to know her better...

All I can say is WOW!!! The evening did not dissapoint!
This was one of my favorite numbers...
I think it was the combat routine or something along those lines...
I have to laugh when I think of the fact that me and my "Elaine dance moves" are such a sharp contrast to these highly coordinated folk....


What a show! It was so entertaining! I am now officially a fan and will be sure to watch it every week...


Here we are (me, Cindy and Alana) during the intermission...
Definitely a night to remember!!!
My stupid camera or computer is making uploading pictures a real pain...I'm so frustrated with the whole thing...why are things always so complicated?!
I'm leaving to go to South Carolina tomorrow morning (without Brian or the kids)....(returning on Sunday night).
I am meeting my mom, sisters, brother and uncles there for a memorial for my grandma Aikin who died about a month ago...
My uncle rented two beach houses for the occasion. We'll be spreading her ashes at one point and hosting a special memorial service at the clubhouse in the development that she used to live in.
I've still got a million things to do before I go...(I want things to go smoothly for Brian while I'm away--or do I? I sometimes wish he could get a true taste of what my days are like...i.e. getting kids to and from activities, planning and preparing meals, laundry, helping with homework, etc...) I guess the bottom line is that anyone can get by for just a few days...I always tell him that when he's in charge of watching the kids he's basically "holding down the fort" but when I'm around, I'm "advancing the troops"...
***Have you ever made homemade applesauce?
***Are you a So You Think You Can Dance fan?
***Can you relate to "advancing the troops"?

14 comments:

  1. What a cool activity for the school!

    And I started watching SYTYCD, last seasons, and I am hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a rock star mom for showing Ellie's class how to make apple sauce. I don't have those skills at all, nor do I like applesauce, but I think it's cool that you can do that.

    I am soooo jealous you got to go see the SYTYCD people perform! Landon and I want to go so badly, but those tickets are pricey and that's not even for good seats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am truly amazed at your food skills! I have not canned anything this year. Our R.S. put the fear in us about doing it wrong because there are new rules.... what the heck? I am so confused & discouraged I just said forget it. I froze a whole LOAD of marinara sauce out of most of my tomatoes & gave away or ate the rest... I'm hoping I won't be punished & famine won't hit us since-- I did try to use them!!!????

    I am not a SYTYCD watcher, but some of the other blogger moms are going to be GREEn with envy since they talked about getting tickets- but didn't. I am so glad it was fun & that you got to go.

    I hope you have a fun relaxing weekend if a memorial can be? - and that when you get home your husband falls on his knees in AWE & AMAZEMENT at what you do everyday. I know I'm a brat- but I'm always a little dissapointed when I leave & my husband acts like it was no sweat- heck, I'm ticked off about i ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made applesauce, thanks to your mom! And I have been brave enough to can on my own after a bunch of canning sessions at the church under her supervision. She is awesome!

    Advancing the troops--definitely!!! I can always tell EXACTLY what my family has been doing in my absence because their is a trail left behind. ("Wreckage" may be a good word.) They always have a lot of fun when Cary is holding down the fort, but I spend the rest of the day clearing the aftermath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made apple sauce, yet. I bet your demonstration was great!!

    I don't watch tv ... but I do enjoy watching good dancers. Amazing.

    My husband does just fine when I'm gone, especially for extended periods. He's quite the organizer and cleaner and just as good with the kids as I am. Maybe better. :) But, because I am usually the one home and doing activities I will say that my agenda is usually the one advanced in our family, tempered by his input. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have made applesauce--you can always listen to the RS broad cast or read it later--it sounds like a fun evening. You seem to have such a great Ward--but I am sure you make it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have done this activity with the kindergarteners more times than i can remember (as a mom three times and when i worked in kindergarten). it's one of my FAVORITE activities of the year, second only to penguin day. i need to find one of those strainers, that is just SO COOL! good luck getting the rest of it bottled, that sounds like a mammoth project.

    and patsy is right...i AM GREEN WITH ENVY over those SYTYCD tickets!! allie and i are huge fans of the show, as of last summer, and i would've paid any price, but they are all sold out here in utah! at least, last time i checked. i am hoping we can go scalp some tickets that night. we loved brandon the best, incredible talent there. glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made applesauce. It was in one of my betty crocker/molly mormon moods.

    I've never watch So You Think you Can Dance. But that guy with the muscles looks nice to look at!

    Sorry about your Grandma, have a nice weekend with your family. The guys always seem to manage. I think mine acts helpless for my benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not an applesauce maker......I have all the equipment so I have no excuse. My apples are just coming on maybe I will try some this year.

    My daughter would be so jealous of your chance to see So You Think You Can Dance, she loves that show and wants to see it live!!! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are one of a kind. those applesauce pictures ought to be in book on how to be a perfect mommy (thank you unattainable)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! I hope you are having a good fall so far! You haven't posted in a while so I was just checking to see if I had missed something. I hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, and I'm glad to see that I haven't miss that much! My life is in the weeds.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Huh. I never would have known that Honeycrisp apples don't make good applesauce! Way cool activity to do at the school.

    I am so jealous that you went to SYTYCD! That is my favorite show on TV.

    Oh boy, can I EVER relate to holding down the fort vs. advancing the troops! Perfect analogy.

    ReplyDelete