Tuesday, July 20, 2010

It didn't start out so great...

I had big pipe dreams for how this summer was going to go...
Day trips, popsicles, reading olympics, watermelon contests, lemonade stands, lazy days at the pool...you get the idea...
This was how the first day of summer started for me...
A flat tire! You've got it! Fortunately, Jake heard a hissing sound just as we were getting out of the car and we high tailed it to the nearest gas station...(so it technically never went completely flat)

... the non happy campers!...


... the non happy camper director!...



Fortunately, we got the bad luck out of the way, and the summer improved.
We've spent lots of time enjoying the chicks...(just 4 weeks old in this picture)




I've worked on several canning projects...plus spent countless hours in the garden...




We've been to the park a few times...



Spotted this doe in our yard once or twice...



Had oodles of playdates involving the slip and slide and water guns...





Hosted a "firefly party" for the neighborhood kids...the one who collects the most fireflies in their jar got the grand prize...



Feasted on juicy blackberries from our garden...



Had lots of laughs when we shared watermelon with the chickens...look how big they've gotten! They're 8 weeks old now...
Olive went a little crazy with the watermelon juice and got it all over her feathers...



We've taken a million pictures of one of my favorite chickens--"Georgie"




on the flip side...
It hasn't been all lollypops and gumdrops,---
We've had horribly hot weather...everyone's grass is completely fried...
the kids have been highly irritating (fighting, not sharing with each other and complaining A LOT!) I've been feeling super depressed because my best friend (Heather) is moving back to Utah on Monday...I've been eating like a fiend...I feel like a rotten mother most of the time because all I seem to do is yell at the kids all the time...And, most importantly, fell behind again on updating my blog and keeping up with my blogging friends...
sigh....
Am I alone on any of this?

9 comments:

  1. Sorry we were not able to make it to the Fire Fly party - Josie would have had a great time!
    your chickens are getting huge!!!!!

    we are excited to see you guys soon and maybe have another firefly night at granny's house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait for your visit here and i'm so sorry to hear of your summer frustrations. love the pictures- can't believe those chickens- they look soooo different. the beans are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about you today because our fair will be in town in about a month. I always want to do stuff to enter in the fair and have yet to get around to it and I was thinking of all the things your family entered at your fair last year.

    Your chickens are fantastic. Super fancy and cute! And for fried grass, your grass looks pretty green! You do such an amazing job in your garden, too. I'd love to grow blackberries someday!

    Every mother becomes slightly impatient sometimes with her children. My kids like to tell on each other all the time. Can't they just love each other so much that the things that they do to irritate each other don't actually bother them? :)

    We've done some fun things things summer but haven't been outside as much as I expected. Lots of dance classes though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those chickens are so cute!! They are kind of like Stephan's sister's, with the feathers down the legs, but way cuter:-) Can't wait to see them, and you guys of course! I miss you're family!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, please stay this time!!!

    The hot weather is what makes summer so summery and yet it's a bane. I get so irritable when I'm hot, and find that I want to retreat to the air conditioned cozy to read. This leaves me feeling like maybe all I want to do with my life is read in the cozy, which makes me think something is wrong with me. Not good.

    I really want to see pictures of your yard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, that flat tire was a bad omen. NO GUILT, we are all just doing our best. what more can we give, seriously...

    the heat wave is KILLING me, but i think i will miss it in the winter. why can't i just be happy with the weather when it's here? sorry about your grass, we are seriously watering every morning and night to keep ours a lovely shade of brown. so frustrating!

    and with this new yard, there are several plants, flowers that i have NO IDEA what they are or how to care for them, and i keep mumbling to myself, "i wish shannon were my neighbor!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. who cares about all that other stuff....look at how amazing your chickens look!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shannon,
    I am ready for the kids to be in school?! How 'bout you?! Aurggggggggggghh!
    We are heading to Solebury Orchard tomorrow at 230pm. Can you guys join us? Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A firefly party, now that is genius!

    Your chickens are so fancy!

    Every mother loses patience with her children, especially when they are around all the time. And every mother feels guilty. It seems to be our lot in life.

    ReplyDelete