Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Thanksgiving memories

After our day with Martha, we just hung out at home and worked on some projects...




My mom had an upcoming open house for her shop and she needed to get the invitations addressed to her customers...


Here she is HAND WRITING them! What the?!!!! How primitive can she be? What's worse is that she roped me into finishing the names from F to Z...arrhhhgggg....I convinced her to have the addresses loaded onto her computer for next year...







We signed up to decorate and fill a few "Giving Bags" for an inner city charity.
The kids had a great time embellishing the bags....


This was a picture of our Thanksgiving table...

I'm so grateful to be able to incorporate my Grandma Aikin's fostoria ware into the mix...




My mom makes the best crust! She stepped it up a notch this year and added the kids' initials to the top...

At Ellie's pre-school, the kids all got to choose Indian er..uh...I mean, "Native American" names.
Some of the names were things like, "Running Wolf", or "Cool Water". Ellie chose the name, "Big Rainbow" which I found completely hilarious...
Here is "Big Rainbow" wearing her hat with pride at our Thanksgiving feast...


I hate making cutout cookies...I'm completely challenged when it comes to baking. My mom makes my cutouts every year and freezes them until we get around to frosting them right before Christmas...
I love that she does this...and the kids always get to participate...
She has far more patience than me when it comes to most things...


One of my goals this year is to compile a cookbook of just our family's favorite tried and true recipes and have pictures that are associated with the recipe...
For example, my mom has the tastiest sugar cookie recipe...
I think this would be a cute picture to put next to her recipe in the book...



Helping Hands...



My mom watched the kids while Brian and I went out to dinner...
Every time she comes, she makes "A Mexican Dinner" which she and they sing and chant several hours leading up to it...they always look forward to this...

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful grandmother! Thanksgiving really was just a few weeks ago! Your thanksgving table looked lovely! What a great idea to cut out the dough in advance. That is so smart. I wish my Mom would do that for me! Also, I love the Indian name Big Rainbow. I think it is the best name ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the process of making a family cookbook....lots of work!!! I would love your Mom's sugar cookie recipe if she shares it. I love sugar cookies!

    Glad to see you are back blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures of your mom making cookies with the kids! Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Thanksgiving table looks so beautiful! You are very Martha-esque yourself.

    The name Big Rainbow is pure genius and oh so cute!

    I love that picture of your mom's hands over Ellie's, what a keepsake that will be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of the family cookbook especially with pictures involved. I too would love to have the sugar cookie recipe. Your kids are so lucky to have such a fun grandma! By the way you are better than Martha--you connect with people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your table was beautiful! I really don't have an eye for decorating like that. I am challenged. I think the cookbook idea would be a lovely, inexpensive Christmas present. I just may do that next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still laughing at Big Rainbow!!!! everything looked really nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have been thinking about putting a family cook book with photos forever! i need to get on that project. i love the photo of their hands too, that one is awesome.

    when my allie (now fourteen) was in kindergarten, she chose "princess sparkling eyes" as her name. i will never forget it, it was just so dang cute and funny at the same time. i love big rainbow, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOUR MOM ROCKS

    that thanksgiving table... oh how lovely!
    I really, really wish we were neighbors...

    ReplyDelete