Friday, July 17, 2009

Five for Friday---the losing it edition

1. My friend, Olivia, who is an amazing cook, (just not a good gift giver as she showed up on my doorstep at Christmas with a takeout container of roasted duck!--sweet holy moses!) came over to my house today to show me and a few friends how to make her delicious summer rolls...

I've been dying for her to show me...so I was thrilled when she was able to work this into her schedule...

She used to own a restaurant when she lived in Hong Kong....


Here she is cooking the ground pork and beef mixed with oyster sauce, garlic, white pepper and fresh cilantro and thai basil...

these are the ingredients used inside the rolls...fresh cucumber, cilantro, basil, mint, pork/beef mixture, and rice noodles...

they were a bit tricky to roll because the rice paper is so thin, but oh! so worth it!


What a feast we had for lunch today! We made extra for everyone to take home so this was what was on tap for dinner as well!
I LOST all will power from the diet that I've been on! (this is day 4 and I totally blew it!)
2. Reilly lost her first tooth two weeks ago...
Because she wants everything on her own terms, I didn't want to rock her world by forcing the tooth out...(even though my fingers were almost quivering with anticipation!)....
After a few bites of an apple, it came out...No tears!
The toothfairy must be turning into a softie because she scored $5 for her first tooth...(I hear the first one is the most coveted for the toothfairy)...Prices go down after this...


3. Meet Dennis, the man who saved my bacon the other day...
The kids were bored and had zero creative juices, and I was losing my patience with them... I called Lowes and asked them if they had any refrigerator boxes available...(some of my favorite memories were from the cool refrigerator boxes that my mom used to make into little cottages for me)...
Fortunately, Dennis was able to hook me up with this brown beauty...and even helped me load it into my car...(the kids didn't mind ducking the whole way home)...

It's not quite the "cottage" that my mom used to make for me, but this made for one heck of a fort for a few days...


4. I went into Jake's room last night to give the hamsters some treats and noticed that only one was in it's cage...
We searched everywhere, but weren't able to find him...
I had a feeling of who the culprit had been that left the door to the cage open in the first place, but wasn't able to confirm my suspicions until this morning when I sat Ellie (AKA..."busy body")down and got the real story of what happened...
She just simply wanted to pet them and forgot to close the cage...I'm so ticked off at her for losing that hamster!

5. Our vegetable garden is in full swing, so that means that canning projects have been added to the flurry of summer tasks...
I canned India Relish from some of my green tomatoes. I also pressure cooked green beans, but forgot to take the pressure gauge off when they were done processing, (so much for multi-tasking!) so I'm pretty sure they've LOST all nutritional value...

**What is the toothfairy going rate for a tooth in your house?
**Did you ever play in refrigerator boxes as a kid?

8 comments:

  1. I loved playing in refrigerator boxes--I think I will give Lowes a call this week. I lost my camera--and I only have me to blame. I'm kind of distraught because taking pictures of my kids is one of my coping strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember fridge boxes, but we did have a big cardboard house with cardboard bricks, great memories! I love seeing pictures of the kids. And those spring rolls looked delicious! I've been wanting to make something like that, but there's a problem with having all of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember refrigerator boxes. we had one in the winter that we made a huge fort out of, then used it for a sled.

    i also LOST my camera cord for my little camera - hence- no pictures the past week. (my big camera is cooling down from the wedding and senior pictures...)

    FIVE DOLLARS FOR A TOOTH????????? holy crap, batman! I was lucky to get a quarter. Inflation, i tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those rolls look delicious. I need to come over for that dinner! I remember playing in refrigerator boxes, too. What a fun idea...It's good to hear from you on here. It sounds like busy summer activities have taken over...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe she brought you ROAST DUCK? oh my -- these looks so so good though!! MMMmmmm You are so lucky to have such a darling talented friend!

    We used to lose our hampster all the time! Ya- I could hardly sleep knowing that thing was scurrying around... (not a big fan of the hampster here) he always turned up!

    $5 for a lost tooth- SWEET! Trent lost a tooth last week & that is what he got- sshhh don't tell the other kids- the tooth fairy used to be a lot cheaper.

    Your veggies look fantastic! who cares about nutrition ;)

    ANd THAT BOX IDEA!!!!?
    BRILLIANT- I'M GOING TO BE CALLING LOWES MYSELF RIGHT AWAY

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm considering pulling a few of my teeth for that kind of cash! yikes! nothing better than a big box to get the creative juices in motion! the food looks great- does she know that i will be visiting soon???!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tooth fairy rates? It varies depending on the mood of the tooth fairy. Usually somewhere between 50 cents and 5 dollars. It just depends.

    Those cardboard boxes are the best.

    Sorry about the hamster. Most rodents will not come back if they are let out. Guinea pigs will NOT run away. Even if you wanted them to. Don't ask me how I know this. :)

    That food looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That first lost tooth is such a milestone! Kids start looking so much more grownup after that. The tooth fairy usually leaves about $2 around here, but it depends. Lucas lost a tooth with a crown and got $5 because those are really special. (?)

    Home-canned green beans are one of my favorite things ever.

    Brilliant to go pick up a refrigerator box! What kid doesn't love a box fort?

    ReplyDelete